This method extracts a list of research students enrolled in your school from staffConnect.
But you should be aware:
- You might pick up research students enrolled in other schools, but have enrolled in a coursework unit at your school.
- This method only picks up research students in courses administered by the Graduate Research & Scholarships Office.
- It does not allow you to find students in courses administered by the faculties.
Step one: Log in to staffConnect
1. Log in to staffConnect.
Step two: Select do-it-yourself reports
Select the <Reports & Jobs> tab at the top of the of the welcome page.
Select <Create a DIY Report> from the options accross the top of the page.
You should now be on a page that gives you a choice of templates to use for your report. It's easiest to use the default template.
Make sure the: <Predefined - Default> option is showing.
Then click <Next>.
Step three: Select the criteria
You should now be on the selection criteria page. This page asks you what criteria you want to use in selecting the students for your report.
For this report you do not need most of those listed.
Click in the boxes on the far left-hand side to delete all the criteria except:
- Course owning org unit
- Teaching period
- Unit owning org unit.
And then click on the text <Delete Parameters> at the bottom of the list.
Step four: Specify what you want
You should now be on the selection criteria page, but seeing only these criteria:
- Course owning org Unit
- Teaching period
- Unit owning org unit
You now need to specify what you want for each of the criteria.
- For Course Owning Org Unit, click on the little blue torch on the right and select Graduate Research School by clicking in the <Add> box to the left of the list.
Then click on <Add Values> at the top.
- For Teaching Period click on the little blue torch on the right and select the one of interest. For most purposes this will be the current year.
For example, to look at all students for 2018, click on the little blue torch to the right of 2018 to view all the teaching periods in 2018. Click in the <Add> box to the left of All Teaching Periods (the first item on the list) and then click on <Add Values>.
You are now looking for all students in courses owned by the Graduate Research School who had an enrolment in any teaching period in 2018.
- For Unit Owning Org Unit, click on the little blue torch on the right and select your school or schools by clicking in the <Add> box for each and then on <Add Values> at the top.
If you are looking for all the students enrolled in a particular faculty, don't forget to include all schools in the faculty and also the faculty office.
Step five: Select type of report
You should now be on a page that asks you to select the type of report that you want. Select DIY Extract from the drop-down menu and then click <Next>.
Step six: Select extract type
You should now be on a page that asks you to select the type of extract that you want.
The best one to use is Student Course Attempt. Select this from the drop-down menu and then click <Next>.
Step seven: Select fields and download
You should now be on a page with a long list of data fields, from which you can choose the fields that you want.
Select the ones you want by clicking in the boxes on the left of the list.
You should include:
- Course Attempt Status
- Discontinuation Reason Description
When you have selected all the fields you want click on <Download>.
Depending on how Excel is set up on your computer, you might need to change the formats of some columns, for example to read the dates.
If you have any further queries about staffConnect reports, contact the SIMS Support Helpdesk on 6488 4777.