- Supervisor Induction
The Supervisor Induction Module is designed for staff new to supervision of research students or more experienced supervisors new to supervision at UWA.
Completion of the online quiz after reading the Supervisor Induction Module will satisfy the training and development requirements of the supervisor register for L1 supervisors. The quiz can be accessed from the final page of the module.
- Supervisor Refresher
The Supervisor Refresher Module is designed for experienced supervisors of research students at UWA wanting to update their understanding of recent changes to rules and administrative processes.
Completion of a short online quiz after reading the Supervisor Refresher Module will satisfy the training and development requirements of the supervisor register for L2 and L3 supervisors. Experienced supervisors will need to complete this module and quiz, or other form of professional development, at least once every four years. The quiz can be accessed from the final page of the module.
- Supervisory Relationships
- Approaches and tools for the development of effective and respectful relationships between students and supervisors.
- Slides from FEB 21
- Role of the Graduate Research Coordinator
- Roles and responsibilities of GRCs.
- Slides from JUN 19
- Research Students and Mental Health
- Information, advice and strategies on how to best deal with mental health issues that may arise in students and overview of supervisor self care.
- Slides from NOV 13
- Thesis as a Series of Papers
- Pros and cons of formatting a thesis as a series of papers.
- Slides from FEB 19
- Finding the Right Student
- Advice about HDR student selection.
- Slides from JUN 17
- Commercialisation and Intellectual Property
- Understanding funding agreements that place obligations on students and supervisors in relation to intellectual property, publishing, confidentiality, indemnities and other matters.
- Resources from NOV 11
- Research Integrity Workshop OCT 2018. Explored issues linked with ethics, intellectual property, data management, conflicts of interest and research collaboration.
- Building Resilience in Research Students Workshop JUN 2018. Explored strategies to develop resilience in students.
- Bridging Cultural Divides in Supervision Workshop APR 2018. Explored cross-cultural communication within supervisory teams.
- Academic Writing Support Workshop SEP 2017. Information about English language requirements at UWA, StudySmarter support, GRS development and training, and the use of editorial assistance policy.
- Research Students and Mental Health Workshop NOV 2017. Information, advice and strategies on how to best deal with mental health issues that may arise in students.
- Industry engagement Seminar OCT 2018. Addressed government requirements for increased industry engagement for doctoral students.
- Research Proposal Seminar JUN 2018. Described and explored the function of research proposals, the new online submission process and how the GRS Board assesses the paperwork.
- Adverse examination report Seminar APR 2018. Outlined adverse reports from examiners and how they are managed by the GRS Board.
- Thesis Examination Seminar NOV 2017. Overview of the examination process at UWA, including recent changes to the submission process, nomination of examiners and conflicts of interest, examination and examiners views of problematic theses, and how to respond to examiner reports.
- Confirmation of Candidature Seminar JUL 2017. Described the function of candidature confirmation and how the GRS processes and assesses the paperwork.