All doctoral students are enrolled provisionally for the first year.
Your research proposal will include the milestones for the first year that have been agreed between you and your supervisor. These are subject to approval by the Board of the Graduate Research School.
At the end of the first year of candidature, submit the Confirmation of Candidature form along with your annual progress report.
Your ongoing candidature will be confirmed if the agreed designated tasks and agreed milestones are completed and verified by the school, and approved by the Graduate Research School, and all other aspects of candidature are satisfactory.
You can check the due dates for your milestone paperwork using studentConnect
The Graduate Research School have a number of compulsory designated tasks that all doctoral students need to complete for confirmation of candidature:
- completion of the ACE unit
- a substantial piece of writing at the appropriate conceptual level
- UWA ethics approval (if animal or human ethics approval required)
In addition to these tasks, supervisors will also nominate a number of additional tasks, such as:
- presenting work orally to the school
- completing an annotated bibliography or review of literature if this is not included in the proposal
- passing appropriate safety courses such as laser safety, radiation safety, chemical or laboratory safety
- completing a one or two-day course in intellectual property
- completing an introductory course in electronic literacy, for example, using electronic data bases available at UWA
- completing relevant, approved coursework units
- completing other relevant, approved development activities such as training in statistics, academic writing, project management or microscopy.
Some schools have their own requirements for confirmation of candidature, others choose to assess confirmation on a student-by-student basis.
- Contact the graduate research co-ordinator in your school for more information about the confirmation of candidature requirements for your school.