Further information

If you have:

an incomplete master's by research program from another tertiary institution or have an incomplete master's (other than master's by research) from UWA

... you can lodge an application for entry to a PhD but you will be treated as a new applicant.

Winthrop tower

UWA Higher Degree by Research students who have not yet been awarded the degree for which they applied can be considered for an upgrade, or downgrade, of their course upon application.


Master's by research students may apply for an upgrade to PhD candidature.

  • Normally an application to upgrade is lodged six to 12 months after commencement but an application may be lodged at any time during the master's candidature.
  • If the application is successful any candidature time consumed in the master's by research program will be included as part of the maximum candidature time (four years full-time equivalent) of the PhD.



PhD students may be able to apply for a downgrade to Master's by Research.

To lodge an application for an upgrade or downgrade, please use the forms below accompanied by details of details of proposed research.

You will be advised in writing of the outcome of your application. This process can take up to six weeks.