Read the Rules and Judging Criteria here.
Contact Dr Krystyna Haq if you have any questions about UWA 3MT.
Many thanks to our major sponsor Unibank.
Asia-Pacific 3MT CompetitionThe Doctoral student (including thesis under examination) whose talk is judged to be the best, will be supported to represent UWA at the Asia-Pacific 3MT CompetitionTM at the University of Queensland. A Masters student may win the UWA 3MT but is ineligible for the Asia-Pacific 3MT Competition.
Talks from previous 3MT Trans-Tasman competitors are available to view.
Finalists in 2018 are eligible for selection for a 2 month training internship with "The Naked Scientists" research communication program based at Cambridge University in the UK.
The 2018 UWA 3MT was won by Ben McAllister from the ARC Centre of Excellence for Engineered Quantum Systems, School of Physics
- Winner: Ben McAllister Shining a light on dark matter.
- Runner-up: Laura Skates How hungry are carnivorous plants?
- People's choice: Armin Scheben Lighting up dark data to feed the world.
- TEDxUWA Choice: Dennis Power Flowers to pharmaceuticals.
- Vanja Todorovski Paraspeckles - a potential therapeutic target for cancer metastasis?
- Erchuan Zhang Action recognition.
- Irina Kuznetsova A million piece biomedical puzzle.
- Ari Rakatama Reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD+): "It needs more than just money."
- Michael Page Schroedinger's cat-flap and the interstellar laboratory.
- Manuel Herduin Unlocking Australia's wave energy power.
Why do it?This event is fun, sociable and rewarding. To quote some competitors:
- "Just do it. It's a lot of fun and you meet some really cool people."
- "You spend more time procrastinating than what preparing your 3MT will take you."
- "...[it] makes you remember why you got into [your research] in the first place and essentially provides a refreshed/positive/proud outlook.