UWA 3MT 2019 is scheduled for Wednesday 18th September.
Semi-finals from 9.30 - 12.30pm.
10 Finalists announced at 1pm.
Finalists will present their talks from 3-4pm followed by Peoples' Choice Judging. Winners announced 4.30 - 4.45pm.
View the 2018 preparation program here.
Read the Rules and Judging Criteria here.
Contact Dr Krystyna Haq if you have any questions about UWA 3MT.
Many thanks to our major sponsor Unibank.
UWA Finalists 2018
View the talks from all finalists here.
The 2018 UWA 3MT was won by Ben McAllister from the ARC Centre of Excellence for Engineered Quantum Systems, School of Physics.
- Winner: Ben McAllister Shining a light on dark matter.
- Runner-up: Laura Skates How hungry are carnivorous plants?
- People's choice: Armin Scheben Lighting up dark data to feed the world.
- TEDxUWA Choice: Dennis Power Flowers to pharmaceuticals.
- Vanja Todorovski Paraspeckles - a potential therapeutic target for cancer metastasis?
- Erchuan Zhang Action recognition.
- Irina Kuznetsova A million piece biomedical puzzle.
- Ari Rakatama Reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD+): "It needs more than just money."
- Michael Page Schroedinger's cat-flap and the interstellar laboratory.
- Manuel Herduin Unlocking Australia's wave energy power.
Asia-Pacific 3MT Competition
The 2019 Asia-Pacific 3MT will be held on Friday 4th October, at the University of Queensland.The Doctoral student (including thesis under examination) whose talk is judged to be the best, will be supported to represent UWA at the Asia-Pacific 3MT CompetitionTM .
A Masters student may win the UWA 3MT but is ineligible for the Asia-Pacific 3MT Competition.
Talks from previous 3MT Trans-Tasman competitors are available to view.
UWA's competitor Ben McAllister from the School of Physics, was selected as one of 10 finalists from among 58 competitors at the 2018 Asia-Pacific 3MT on 27th September.
Finalists in 2018 were eligible for selection for a 2 month training internship with "The Naked Scientists" research communication program based at Cambridge University in the UK. Ben McAllister was selected by "The Naked Scientists" for this internship which he will commence in March 2019.
Why do it?
Read Laura Skates' blog post hereThis event is fun, sociable and rewarding. To quote some competitors:
- "Just do it. It's a lot of fun and you meet some really cool people."
- "You spend more time procrastinating than what preparing your 3MT will take you."
- "...[it] makes you remember why you got into [your research] in the first place and essentially provides a refreshed/positive/proud outlook.