Date and Time 2013
- Wednesday 20 March, FULL
- Wednesday 26 June, FULL
- Monday 16 September, 9.00am - 4.30pm
- Wednesday 27 November, 9.00am – 4.30pm
Seminar Room 1, Love House, 28 Broadway (Corner of Cooper Street)
Please note: Venue subject to change, please check the website and your confirmation email closer to your chosen workshop date.
This workshop is designed for people who are engaged in postgraduate supervision and who want to reflect upon, develop and refine their current conceptions and practice of supervision.
- Intended Audience
This workshop not only provides grounding in the Graduate Research School's guidelines, policies and procedures for the effective supervision of research students, but also addresses issues related to managing the personal relationship between supervisor and student.
This workshop additionally touches on aspects of supervising international students, and provides a context for exploring these in further detail in the subsequent half-day workshop: supervising international students.
- Workshop Description
- Supervision in context – UWA's vision for the future.
- The supervisor-student relationship.
- Professionalising postgraduate supervision.
- Important issues relating to international students.
- Postgraduate student and experienced supervisor panels.
- Intended Outcomes
These workshops aim to assist participants to:
- develop a clear understanding of the role and responsibilities of a supervisor in relation to the Graduate Research School's guidelines, policies and procedures
- increase awareness of a range of approaches to postgraduate supervision and of the specific contributions a supervisor can make as a mentor to their students
- develop a more productive working relationship with postgraduate students, to identify the key qualities of good supervisors and good supervision, and to discuss practical suggestions on how to handle the difficulties that may arise in the supervisor-student relationship
- become familiar with the University's support framework for both the supervisor and student
- explore particular issues for international students, with a view to identifying the added challenges for students and supervisors.
- Key Activities
- Active learning exercises.
- Group discussion.
- Case studies.
- Self-reflective exercises.
- Discussion with experienced supervisors, PSA representatives and international graduate students.
- Specialist guest speakers.
Register for an available date, or place your name on a waiting list.
UWA staff can register by entering your Employee ID. If you do not have a staff number or are not a staff member, just click the submit button:
For general information about CATL workshops email us or telephone (+61 8) 6488 1577.