A Remote Supervision Plan is an agreement between a Higher Degree by Research student, their supervisors (and in some cases their Graduate Research Coordinator) and the Graduate Research School about the strategies that will be used to ensure that the student's progress is maintained during periods when either the student or one or more supervisors are absent from UWA.
A Remote Supervision Plan is recommended if students or supervisors are seeking approval to work mainly from home rather than attending campus in person. A Remote Supervision Plan is mandatory for students applying for external enrolment.
Key points to note when compiling a Remote Supervision Plan include:
- Clear indication of the dates of periods of absence
- Clarification of appropriate modes and frequency of contact
- Clarification about what work the student is expected to undertake
- Confirmation that appropriate resources and facilities are available
- Negotiation of a schedule for regular submission of the student's written work
- Negotiation of a schedule for written feedback on the student's work according to a mutually agreed turnaround period
- Identification of any strategies that will be employed to overcome unexpected delays or interruptions in contact between the two parties
Students who are currently overseas (due to COVID-19 restrictions) or returning to their home country to continue their research should complete a HDR Offshore Enrolment Agreement.