External Enrolment and Supervision Plan
For current students applying for external enrolment
or current students applying to be absent from UWA for extended periods
An External Supervision Plan is an agreement between a Higher Degree by Research student, their supervisors (and in some cases their Graduate Research Coordinator) and the Graduate Research School. It details the strategies that will be used to ensure that the student's progress is maintained during periods when either the student or one or more supervisors are absent from UWA.
An External Supervision Plan is:
- mandatory for current students applying for external enrolment due to research needs
- mandatory for current students overseas due to COVID-19 border restrictions or returning to their home countries to continue research or writing
- mandatory for current students who are unable to attend a UWA campus because of their vaccination status
- recommended if current students or supervisors are seeking approval to work mainly from home rather than attending campus in person.
- A clear indication of the dates of periods of absence
- Clarification of appropriate modes and frequency of contact
- Clarification about what work the student is expected to undertake
- Confirmation that appropriate resources and facilities are available
- Negotiation of a schedule for regular submission of the student's written work
- Negotiation of a schedule for written feedback on the student's work according to a mutually agreed turnaround period
- Identification of any strategies that will be employed to overcome unexpected delays or interruptions in contact between the two parties.
Remote Commencement Plan
For prospective students applying to commence outside WA due to COVID-19 restrictions
UWA will consider the commencement of a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) student currently residing outside Western Australia at a time when the Western Australian border is closed to non-residents. This provision is limited to the period of COVID-19 travel bans for non-residents.
Commencement will be restricted to those students who have been offered and accepted a place and who have been awarded the appropriate student visa (required for all international students). International students may be approved to commence studies offshore if all conditions of this Remote Commencement Plan are met but will not be approved to commence studies interstate in Australia.
This document can only be initiated by the relevant Graduate Research Coordinator. Please consult as appropriate prior to completion.