You can extend your candidature beyond the maximum period of enrolment only in exceptional circumstances. 

Employment commitments are not normally accepted as a reason for extension.

  • Master's students enrolled before October 2000 should note the  maximum periods of extension under rules regarding their enrolment. 
  • PhD and master's students enrolled after October 2000 can apply for up to 12 months extension.

Holders of awards or scholarships should consult the scholarships website or a scholarships officer regarding extension of their scholarship.

All requests for extension of candidature must be endorsed by your graduate research co-ordinator and supervisors. Requests must be submitted to the Graduate Research and Scholarships Office for approval using the extension of candidature forms.