Hackett hall archway

You may apply to suspend candidature or you may be required to suspend your candidature.

Applications to suspend must be submitted via HDRhub.

Standard suspension

If you have not exceeded your candidature time limit, but need to spend time dealing with matters other than study, you may request a standard suspension. All requests for suspension must be endorsed by your Coordinating Supervisor and Graduate Research Coordinator via HDRhub.

  • You may request a suspension on the basis of unforseen circumstances outside your control which will significantly disrupt your academic work.
  • Suspensions are normally for at least three months and will not be approved for less than four weeks. The maximum total period of suspension is 12 months, but the Graduate Research School may approve to extend this limit in exceptional circumstances.
  • During the suspension you will not be enrolled in any units, and your official student status will be 'Discontinued – Suspension Approved’. Your candidature and any scholarships will be paused concurrently. You will not be covered by University insurance other than as a member of the public. However, your Pheme account, library access and student email will remain active during the suspension.

International students on student visas will need to check the implications of suspension on their visas, as most student visas require continuous, active enrolment and thus do not allow suspension. Further assistance with visa information can be obtained from the Department of Home Affairs.

Scholarship and award holders

If you hold a scholarship and/or award and are applying for suspension:

  • your application will be taken as seeking approval for any changes from the Scholarships Committee.
  • you should consult the scholarships website for more information about any specific conditions that may apply to your scholarship or award.
  • you must submit a stipend claim form to enable recommencement of scholarship payments upon return from suspension.

If you are an international student, you should discuss the implications of suspension with the Department of Home Affairs prior to submitting an application to suspend.

Annual reports and suspension

Your annual report is the mechanism by which your academic progress is the assessed by your school and the Graduate Research School and you need to continue submitting these reports while you are suspended. You may not have a great deal to put in the report when you are suspended, but by lodging a report you:

  • ensure that the Graduate Research School have your correct contact details and other necessary information.
  • confirm to your school and the Graduate Research School that you intend to resume study when your suspension is over.

Your annual report serves as your application for re-enrolment.

Further Information

Maternity and parental leave