- The Board of the Graduate Research School, on the recommendation of the Head of School/Graduate Research Coordinator concerned, may grant a candidate for a research higher degree, an award for travel within Australia or overseas directly relevant to the candidate's research work, including fieldwork, conference attendance and travel to gather research data.
- The awards are available to full-time and part-time candidates enrolled in higher degree by research courses with a normal course length of at least two years, full-time equivalent.
- Subject to 3, travel awards will normally be granted only for travel within a candidate’s allocated candidature time or, in exceptional circumstances and on the basis of a case made by the supervisors and Graduate Research Coordinator, for travel up to six months* after submission of the thesis, as long as this was achieved within the allocated candidature time. *This period may be extended to six months where a student’s intended travel to present their work at a conference was prevented by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- In exceptional circumstances and on the basis of a case made by the supervisors and Graduate Research Coordinator, the Graduate Research School may approve the provision of a travel award to a candidate during an extension of candidature, or up to six months* after submission of the thesis after an extension of candidature provided that: (a) the extension was required as a result of research-related delays outside the control of the candidate; and (b) the intention to travel was clearly indicated in the application for extension and accounted for in the Completion Plan. *This period may be extended to six months where a student’s intended travel to present their
work at a conference was prevented by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- A member of the academic staff of this or any other higher-education institution, or a person in employment which provides access to travel subsidies who is enrolled for a research higher degree, is not normally eligible for an award.
- An applicant's research proposal must have been approved by the relevant board (GRS or Faculty Board) prior to approval of a travel award.
Number of awards
- Unless the Board of the Graduate Research School permits otherwise, candidates will be eligible for only one travel award during enrolment in a research higher degree programs at this institution. However, candidates may apply for the award in up to three instalments as detailed below.
- A candidate who has received an award and who subsequently completes their degree program is eligible to receive another award if they later enrol in a further research higher degree program at UWA.
- Candidates who have received an award and who subsequently transfer to another UWA research higher degree program at the same or a lower level will not be eligible for a second award.
- Although applications will normally be processed 3-6 months prior to the intended date of departure, earlier applications may be considered.
- Awards are not offered retrospectively.
- Candidates must comply with the University's Travel Insurance Policy and take additional insurance where any period of leave is not related to their degree program.
- For travel within Australia, a minimum of $500 and a maximum of $750, inclusive of fares and subsistence, can be awarded per application.
- For externally enrolled candidates, for travel within the country in which they are recorded as studying, a minimum of $500 and a maximum of $750, inclusive of fares and subsistence, can be awarded per application.
- For overseas travel, a maximum of $1850, inclusive of fares and subsistence can be awarded.
- The total maximum funding available under the award for each candidate is $1850.
- Reimbursement will be given for airfares only when the air travel has been booked according to University policy, through one of the University's preferred providers.
- For each application approved under the travel award, within 1 month of completion of the travel for which the award was made, the candidate must provide receipts for the value of the award using the template provided.